(Recipe and image Kalila’s own)
GREAT TASTING BREAKFAST OR AFTERNOON SNACK
Ingredients: 50g butter, 50g caster sugar (can be switched for desiccated coconut for a sugar-free option), 1 egg, 300ml milk, 50g oatbran, 50g dark chocolate (70% cacao), 100g buckwheat flour, 1tbsp of baking powder (c. 15ml), pinch of salt
As above but switch the chocolate for 50g of fresh blueberries, raspberries or cranberries.
- Start by soaking the bran in the milk for circa 10 minutes or until the milk has been soaked up.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy and then beat in the egg and the bran and milk mixture.
- Add in the chocolate in roughly broken chunks.
- With a metal spoon gently stir in the flour, salt and baking powder.
- If making fruit muffins, add in the fruit at this stage and gently stir into the mixture.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into 6 muffin cases or alternately I would advise using a silicon muffin tray as completely non stick.
- Bake in the centre of a preheated oven at 200C for c. 25 mins. Use a cocktail stick to check if fully cooked in the centre. If it comes out clean then your muffins are ready to eat.
- Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and serve!