Peach & Rhubarb Roulade (with fresh mint)
(Recipe and image Kalila’s own)
FANTASTIC FOR A LUNCH OR SUMMER AFTERNOON TEA
Ingredients: 4 Egg whites, 6oz / 170g caster sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, chopped almonds to decorate, additional sugar to sprinkle, 125ml single cream (whipped) + fruit of your choice (Berries, peaches, rhubarb).
Preparation: 15 mins + 20 mins cooking + cooling time + 10 mins decorating
1. Whisk the egg whites with c. 1/4 of the sugar until stiff and glossy.
2. Gently fold in the remaining sugar using a metal spoon.
3. Spoon the mix onto a flat baking tray prepared with greaseproof paper and sprinkle with the cinnamon and a tsp of additional sugar.
4. Bake in the centre of a hot oven at 190C for c. 20 minutes or until slightly golden and firm.
5. Once slightly cooled peel the meringue off the greaseproof paper and leave to cool completely.
6. For the filling, I layered on my rhubarb which I had cooked earlier (Simmer in a splash of water with brown sugar for c. 5 minutes until nicely softened).
7. whip the fresh cream until nice and firm and spread evenly across the meringue. I also used a little bit of mascarpone in my roulade so you can play with different creams and yoghurts to achieve the taste you want.
8 .Lastly I spread thinly sliced peach across the cream.
9. Now for the tricky bit…rolling! I think I over estimated my filling so as I started to roll a fair bit shot out of both ends but with a bit of patience I managed to complete my roll, plate up and pop my roulade in the fridge to chill and set.
10. Before serving, sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
11. Serve sliced.