Yep, it’s officially that time of year again when through the fog of parenting, lack of sleep, dirty nappies, crying babies and not remembering when you last showered we’re encouraged to get lovey-dovey, buy cards and flowers at five times their usual prices and celebrate Valentine’s day!
But don’t despair as help is at hand with 5 simple ingredients and a pastry cutter to help you and your loved ones bathe in a rosy glow of yumminess.
Beetroot-blushed gnocchi with heart-beets and rocket
Gnocchi is one of the quickest dishes to prepare and whether fresh or packet, has a cooking time of just 3 to 6 minutes. Garnished with beetroot love hearts, a handful of rocket and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese this valentine’s supper is sure to be a winner for all the family.
Ingredients: Gnocchi, Beetroot, Butter, Parmesan Cheese, Rocket
Utensils: Heart-shaped pastry / biscuit cutter, sieved spoon (with holes to drain water)
- Prepare a large pan of lightly-salted boiling water ready to cook the gnocchi.
- Take 1 beetroot and cut into 3 or 4 chunky slices. Using the heart-shaped pastry cutter, cut out enough hearts to decorate your plates. Place any discarded pieces of beetroot into the boiling water to colour the gnocchi pink.
- In a small fry pan, melt a large chunk of butter until liquid.
- Place the gnocchi in the boiling water and cook according to the pack guidelines (typically till the gnocchi float).
- As the gnocchi begin to float, scoop out using a sieved spoon and place in the melted butter so that they don’t stick together.
- Serve with a side of rocket leaves and grate parmesan cheese on top eh voila!
- If you’re not a fan of beetroot then why not experiment with another coloured vegetable or even strawberries.